- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 cloves minced garlic
- 2 lbs. ground Italian sausage *
- red pepper flakes to taste
- 16 cups chicken stock (homemade or from bouillon)
- 1 large head cauliflower broken into bite-sized florets and pieces
- 8 cups baby kale, or baby spinach, or chopped kale, stems removed
- 1 cup coconut milk
- salt and pepper to taste
* I like to use Sprouts Italian sausage links, removing the skins, and breaking up the meat.
In a large stockpot, brown the sausage with the chopped onion and garlic. Set aside the meat and onions to drain. Bring the chicken stock to boil in the pot, then add the cauliflower and pepper flakes and simmer for 15 minutes* or until tender. Return the meat mixture to the pot along with the greens. Cook until the greens are tender: only a few minutes if using baby greens, around 5 minutes if using chopped kale. Stir in the coconut milk, add salt & pepper to taste, and serve.
*Reduce the amount of time the cauliflower is cooked if using chopped kale which takes longer to soften.