Saturday, July 15, 2006

Still Not Yet

"Many are the plans in the mind of a man, but it is the purpose of the Lord that will stand." Proverbs 19:21


This is the verse that I posted on my blog when I first revealed our surprise pregnancy, and it still applies.

I'm not used to waiting so long for a baby to arrive. My other kids spoiled me by showing up at 38 and 39 weeks. They came so soon that I never experienced the pitying looks from people and the constant questions: "Are you still here?" "Haven't you had the baby yet?" etc. etc.

The funniest question that I got asked three times at church last week was: "Do you have any signs that the baby will be born soon?" One time I replied: "Well, I am pregnant and I know that it has to end sometime."

I didn't realize before how wearing, both physically and mentally, it is to get clear to 40 weeks. I especially can't help wondering if this baby is going to arrive before my parents' two week visit ends. They aren't putting any pressure on me, though, and are helping out around the house a lot and having fun with the grandkids.

If I can help it, I don't answer the phone. When James or the kids or my parents answer the phone, the first thing that I hear them say is, "No, not yet." Many people have asked me to call them when I go into labor. Now I've started saying no to that, because by the time I would get through the list of people to call, the baby would be crowning!

Two days ago, one of my sisters called to harrass chat with me. At one point I teasingly said something to her and wasn't for sure that she understood I was teasing her. I explained, "I'm joking." She joked back, "You're choking?!! Someone help the woman, she's choking!!!"

When I got off the phone with her, I poured a glass of milk and looked at my pictures on the refrigerator while I drank it. One drink went down the wrong way and I involuntarily and violently spewed milk all over all of my pictures!

I called my sister back and asked her, "How did you know that I was going to choke?! Would you also predict that I'm going into labor?" She quipped, "I don't know. I'm not feeling that!" I retorted, "Just SAY it!"

(Incidentally, I had another choking incident the next morning in which I spewed water all over my bathroom mirror. I'm wondering if pregnancy hormones have loosened up that little flap that goes over the windpipe so that it is failing me at times. I hope I live to deliver this baby.)

My mom, seeing my pitiful state, has suggested that I try castor oil to induce labor. I declined the suggestion. My midwives told me that one of their clients tried that method, and while it worked, let's just say that it also added an hour of clean-up to their time.

So I must continue to wait, trying not to wonder or worry about when the baby arrives, while sipping my bottomless supply of iced raspberry leaf tea.

No comments: