Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Sausage & Vegetable Stew

Since the following recipe is a big hit with our family, adult and kid alike, as well as being easy, I thought I'd share it here. The original recipe, titled "Summer Crock", comes from Leanne Ely's cookbook Saving Dinner the Lo-Carb Way. I have changed some ingredients and amounts to fit our family. The recipe is a slow-cooker recipe in the book, but I've been fixing it in a regular pot shortly before supper, because I've been too busy with other tasks earlier in the day to get it into the crockpot.

Ingredients:

1 - 1 1/2 pounds Italian sausage, casings removed (I often use turkey sausage.)
1 onion chopped
1/2 T. minced garlic
3 cups each (9 cups total) chopped summer squash (yellow squash), zucchini, and eggplant (Substitute any vegetables. I often use red peppers, yam, kale.)
2 14 1/2 oz. cans diced tomatoes with their juice
3 cups chicken broth
1 T. cumin
Parmesan cheese for sprinkling on individual bowls

Directions:

In a large pot sprayed with cooking oil, brown the sausage along with the onion and garlic. Drain the sausage if there is much fat. Stir the rest of the ingredients into the pot, bring to a boil and simmer for 15 - 20 minutes or until the squash is soft, but not soggy. Serves at least 6 people with leftovers.

If you would like to do this recipe in the crockpot, cook it on low for 6 hours, but I really don't understand the point when it cooks so quickly.



My kids rejoice when I make this stew. Really, it is that good!

No comments: