Wednesday, August 08, 2007

Baby Einsteins or Baby Stooges?

"Baby development videos like Baby Einstein and Brainy Baby are little more than snake oil and can actually slow a toddler's learning, a new study has found.

For every hour per day spent watching baby DVDs and videos, infants aged eight to 16 months understood an average of six to eight less words than those who did not watch them, the study, published in The Journal of Pediatrics, found." Click HERE to read more...

I'm not surprised that a study has actually demonstrated something that should be common sense: Babies learn language from interacting with other people.

(By the way, my title is exaggerating to make a point. I don't actually think that a baby who watches an occasional Baby Einstein while a parent gets something done is going to be a dunce!)

4 comments:

Dana a/k/a Sunshine said...

I agree. Everything in moderation.

Susannah said...

We borrowed a baby Einstein video from a friend once. My big kids really liked it! LOL! I returned it to the mom who'd offered it to me before we moved.

Yep, science confirms common sense, once again!

lynardlynard said...

I'm so impressed that your baby is reading Good Night Moon! already. He is so smart! :-)

Meliss said...

It is because we have never shown him a Baby Einstein video! ;-D