Friday, March 09, 2007

Another Recipe in the Repetoire

Last Wednesday evening, I needed to make supper, but didn't have any planned meals. Since I knew I had some cauliflower and some red potatoes in the refrigerator, I did an ingredient search on allrecipes.com. Only one recipe came up with those ingredients, and while I didn't have every ingredient listed, I thought I could safely make some substitutions. The original recipe on the site was named "Broken Thermostat Curry" and called for a yam, cayenne pepper, and red pepper flakes which I replaced with garbanzo beans and raisins.

Here is my version:

Vegetable Curry

Ingredients:
  • 1 small onion, chopped
  • 1 1/2 cup carrot pieces
  • 1 T. olive oil
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced (1 tsp. jarred minced garlic)
  • 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes
  • 2 cups water
  • 1 (14 1/2 oz.) can garbanzo beans (a.k.a. chick peas) drained and rinsed
  • 5-6 small red potatoes, cubed (The second time I made this, I used turnip instead.)
  • 2 cups cauliflower florets
  • 1/2 c. raisins (or so... I just threw in handfulls until it looked good)
  • 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
  • 2 teaspoons curry powder
  • 1 teaspoon ground cumin
  • 1/4 teaspoon garam masala (Can omit. For gluten free, make sure spice blend is GF or google homemade garam masala to make your own blend.)
  • plain yogurt

Directions:

  1. Finely chop the onions and carrots in a food processor. Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan or dutch oven over medium heat. Saute the garlic until lightly browned. Pour in the carrot puree and saute for 5 minutes.
  2. Pour in diced tomatoes, water, garbanzo beans, red potatoes, cauliflower, and raisins. Season with turmeric, curry powder, cumin, and garam masala. Bring to a boil and simmer until potatoes are soft, about 30 minutes.
  3. Serve in bowls with plain yogurt.
Why am I blogging this? My family loved this recipe. Evan raved about it and told me to write it down and make it again. I've already made this twice in two weeks, and it is still rated a keeper.

No comments: