Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Tangy Chicken and Rice with Peas

When I roast chicken, this recipe is one way I make use of leftover chicken. It is adapted from a Rachel Ray recipe. It has a tangy zip to it that keeps it from being a "Plain Jane" chicken & rice dish.

Ingredients:

2 medium onions, coarsely chopped
1/2 cup flat-leaf parsley
2 T. extra-virgin olive oil
2 cups long-grain brown basmati rice
3 1/2 cups chicken broth (I use Better Than Bouillon chicken base which is gluten-free and msg-free.)
1 pound leftover shredded chicken (or just put leftover chicken in until it looks right :)
Salt and freshly ground pepper
1 cup frozen peas, thawed
1/2 cup slivered almonds, lightly toasted
Juice of 1 lime

Directions:
  1. Pulse the onions and parsley in a food processor until finely chopped. In a large, heavy saucepan, heat the olive oil over medium heat, add the onion mixture and cook for a few minutes. Stir in the rice and broth and bring to a boil. Lower the heat, cover and simmer for 45 minutes.
  2. Add the shredded chicken to the rice along with the peas. Cover the rice and cook until heated through. Stir in the lime juice and half of the almonds. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Spoon into bowls and top with the remaining almonds.

7 comments:

Hanley Family said...

Just a quick note to let you know I stumbled across your blog and have been enjoying reading the entries. Sounds like you have a wonderful homeschool!

Meliss said...

Hi Dana! Thanks for stopping by!

Scribbit said...

Sounds yummy--we eat a bit of chicken so this is welcome.

mere said...

Yummy! I will have to print that and try it. Thanks for sharing!

mere

Gayle @ thewestiecrew said...

I have an affection for all things Rachael Ray...yummo! LOL!
Gayle
(who is seriously about to bail over at HSB to join the ranks here...I need to quit saying that and just do it.)

Gayle @ thewestiecrew said...

Ok, I did it...
thewestiecrew.blogspot.com
(although I am still keeping my HSB for the time being)
:)

Anonymous said...

Hi again!

Thanks for the comment about the Count of Monte Cristo. Since I really enjoyed the movie that helps me decide about the book! LOL I would love to know what the ending of the book is though so perhaps I will just have to read it anyway! LOL

I didn't know you posted on WTM--how fun! Thanks for the comment there too.

Warmly,
Kate