Thursday, July 26, 2007

Summertime and the Livin' is Easy

I'm enjoying some weeks of just living without thinking about homeschooling. I find it downright restful to cook, clean, organize, grocery shop and to just be with my family without the other layer of my life pressing down on me. Don't get me wrong. I like homeschooling. But, I'm not a multi-tasker by nature, and I get distracted getting pulled in so many directions. I must buckle down soon to some solid planning and then to starting school, but for now...Ah!

While James focused his attention on the garage last week, the lawn-mowing went by the wayside. The grass grew too long for Evan to handle with a push mower. However, I decided to let him use the power mower for the first time. I had him suit up with shoes, hat, sunscreen, and sunglasses, ran down my list of safety instructions and let him at it. He mowed the whole backyard by himself and looked visibly pleased with the work accomplished. Immediately he asked if he could start a lawn-mowing business. I redirected his energies into weed-whacking. Hurray for having a big boy!!

All of the three older kids are sooooo good with Logan as I predicted and they all love playing with him. Logan loves chasing Sophie around the house as she crawls ahead of him. Matthew holds his hands and helps him to explore on two feet. Evan elicits peals of laughter from him by playing peekaboo. They all enjoy playing with him as he splashes around in his wading pool. Hurray for big brothers and big sister!

Logan took five decent steps toward me last night. I think it will be awhile before he is walking steadily, because mainly he steps as he falls forward, but he is beginning the toddler phase. I gazed at him this morning as he nursed, delighting in the gift of the moment, while realizing the impossibility of grasping it permanently. Hurray for a growing baby!

2 comments:

Gayle @ thewestiecrew said...

I am so not a multi-tasker either! I love to be able to focus on being a wife/mommy/homemaker without the teacher element over the summer too. I think it would be homeschool suicide if I didn't get that chance each year.

By the grace of God ... said...

Hello! I couldn't find a way to email you, but you won my giveaway!

PLease email me your address -- colobleu@yahoo.com